Wednesday, August 14, 2024

First Firing

 The inaugural firing of my small down-draft kiln is now history. Overall it went very well and I was pleased how even it fired from top to bottom, front to back. It required less wood than I had anticipated. Here are some images depicting various stages.

 

The interior of the kiln with shelves stacked and pieces set; a few went onto the top of the side bag walls.


The door being stacked. Lettering/numbering the brick aid in re-stacking the same the next firing.


Cone packs.


       Propane tanks in place, along with the burners, to pre-heat the kiln over night.


Wood stacked for stoking.


Low burner flame overnight.


 
After pre-heating over night, with the interior temperature reaching 270 degrees, I began fires outside of the coal areas. Eventually I was able to start stoking wood into the fireboxes.
 
 
 In-between stokes!

No comments:

Post a Comment