Monday, February 8, 2021

Kiln Construction Update

It has been awhile since I have posted due to COVID 19's affect on firings and my schedule. I have made some progress on the kiln(s). The small down-draft will be constructed first and the tunnel finished afterwards. In the meantime I have purchased brick to complete the down-draft. Also, I have converted an old electric kiln to a conversion kiln...what I am calling "Chokkuragama", which means "small kiln". It is close to being ready to fire for the first time. Here are some images taken before the winter set in.


Determining the down-draft fireboxes and exit flues.

 

Section where the tunnel kiln will be constructed.

 

One of several pallets of high duty refractory bricks.

 


 Converted electric kiln that will use propane and wood, with salt added.

 


Wood split for both conversion kiln and down-draft kiln.

No comments:

Post a Comment